Tuesday, December 06, 2005

In the city ...

I met her first in the bus from chennai to bangalore. It was one of those rarest of times, when a guy's seat is next to a girl's and she doesnt make a fuss. I got into the bus and was about to take the window seat when she asked
"Hey, can I take the window seat?" "Oh well, why?" I wanted to ask.
The enthusiasm in her voice and the fact that all I wanted was to catch up on some sleep. And window seat was the last of my botheration. I parked my ass in the seat.
"My name is X" she said.
"Hi, me is Bala", thus the conversation started. and I seriously do not know when I slept. Well, tired in the mind and body I had zapped when she was speaking to me and I was chided about it the next morning.

Occasional mails and rare calls, we were in touch.

DAY I

It's been a long time since I took a girl out for a dinner. My mobile rang at around 6:00 PM.

"Hey, Remember me, how are you doing?"
"Hey, hows you, me is getting along with da world"
"You sound low." A pause and then "Can you have dinner with me tonight?"
"The bill is on me" I said.
"Are you trying to impress me? When will you guys change? I can pay for mine!" she said
"Well, if you insist, can you pay for mine too?"I paused.
She sighed.

Our conversations have always ended in arguments. But yes, not in fights though. And another constant argument we have is that I, a techie does not know anything whereas, she, a HR knows everything. I guess its the problem between a man / woman than a techie/HR !!!

"The choice of restaurant is yours then!"
"South-Indian, North-Indian, chinese, continental, pizzas, pasta?"
"did you work as a bearer before?" she asked.
"No, but I will soon own a restaurant though"
"I need some hot hot idlis."
"Ok, I actually do not want to take you to Sukh Sagar and stand and talk"
"Ok...lets make it continental. Do you get sizzlers?"
"Oui...Thats moi fav too. Lets hit CasaPicolo. Can drop you home from there"

And after a long time, I had real quality time. No pretense, no mind games, just plain yapping with philosophical statements from my troubled mind. Reminded me of earlier days with someone, who has by now decided to part our ways as friends. Well, thats how she wanted it. I just had to let her go. Sharing a couple of things about college, school, etc etc. It was fun. I paid the bill. We had to walk back to my car. And Bangalore these days are cold. I had left my jacket in the car. She persisted that she wldnt wear her jacket unless I stop shivering. Crazy girl. I dropped her home.
"Wait for a minute, I'll be back." She said.
she gave me a handful of CDs, of Laurel & Hardy, Friends - 8th season, and Carry On series.
I guess she noticed I was low in my mind. She didnt ask anything though.
That night, I was all smiles with L&H tickling me all the time.

DAY II

Customary GM notes and Great day wishes.

It was 6:00 PM. I took out my mobile.
"Hi, R you busy?"
"hmmm...not much why?"
"Can I buy you some hot idlis?"
"not before 8:30 though, is that fine? and I need to leave by 9:45"
"Perfect"
We met at Sukh Sagar and I never have gone to the AC hall there ;-).
"Well, I guess it isnt your treat again today" She said.
"That that man, that that money. applies for that that woman too." I said.

Another hour of quality dinner with non stop nonsense of everything. I dont have a car. I have given it to my friend. His FIL had come down and he wanted it. So, I said, I'll walk her down to her house. I carried her laptop and I had no clue how those 10-15 mins of walk was over. I wanted to walk more. But she had mentioned she wanted to leave earlier today.
"Hey, thanks for the evening." I said handing over the laptop bag.
"You give me a feeling it was only customary walk"
"No, I really wanted to walk you down."
"No, I just had a feeling"
I bid Good Night and started walking back to catch an auto. I messaged her that I really wanted to walk her down and I appreciate her time for me.

I got down before my house on the main road and was walking down when she called up.
"Hey, watcha doing?"
"walking down towards the house"
"Well, couldnt you have just done that with me here?"
I burst out laughing.
"I thought you wanted to leave early"
"Yep, I wanted to leave @ 9:45 so that I can walk down with you and reach by 10:15, but you left me home at 9:40 itself."
"Well, I dont read minds."
"Should I say you are Stupid"
"Ah there goes, man and a woman's world of differences"

It was another 15 mins before I kept the phone down. Well, settled down with the rest of Carry On series and slept off !

It was the start and have been out on dinner atleast a couple of times after that which ends up in a nice walk after dropping her !

5 comments:

DreamClicks said...

Interesting and sweet... all the best for a great friendship!

Enchanted Mind said...

@DV
;-) yep !! Hope so !

F e r r a r i said...

Adra sakkai :-)
Enakku enna solradhu theriyalai. But be happy ;-)

che sara sara said...

mm...yummy friendship toast

Monicaatje said...

U need to e-mail me, haha!
I think it's great, wanna know more about her ;)