Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The curious incident of the dog in night-time

Very occasionally you come across a book that is so different from the rest. For example, The Alchemist by Paulo coelho introduced me to a very different style of writing. The nameless characters which stand outside while the content of the story takes the centrestage was an awesome piece of writing. In the cinema world, "Yuva"/"Ayutha Ezhuthu" again is a very different way of story telling - but even better was the original "Amores Perros".

I read this book - A curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon. Christopher, the autistic kid hates lies, being touched and fascinated with the world of numbers, and cannot understand jokes/metaphors. He likes puzzles and decides to play detective and solve the puzzle of the death of the dog who is killed by a pitch fork. In this journey, what he would unearth is what forms the crux of the story!

The book made me look life from an autistic perspective. Sometimes, i felt autistic myself. Thats how the descriptions were. The workings of an autistic brain and the simpler ways of looking at life with profound wisdom in the lines. This book is a must read. When my manager/friend gave me this book smiling - "You would surely be interested in this", I didnt think I would like it this much.

Books immediately in my list are

Winning (presently consuming)
For matrimonial purposes
five point someone (borrowed)
The Mythical Man Month - (highly suggested by my collegue at work for Software Engineering)

1 comment:

Monicaatje said...

Souns interesting, hope I can get it here, I need something to read during my train journey... oh I have to tell u all about my plans!!
U amaze me... but too proivate, will e-mail...
Luv!!