Thursday, April 20, 2006

ASS-U-ME !!!

I boarded the KSRTC AC Volvo bus to Bangalore. Time was hardly 10:00 and the bus would start any time now.
The conductor who issued me the ticket was exceptionally nice, actually so nice to be true. I went in, put my laptop on the shelves above, and took my seat only to be surprised by the passengers whom I would be travelling with. I have been lucky atleast on three occasions so far whom I have ended up making friends with - girls to be precise. Now, here today, sitting next to me was a man, smelling completely of alcohol, (I think some people like to have a bottle of beer for perfume) who had removed his shirt and hung it on the front seat where two of his friends were seated similarly, showing off their what seemed like a vest that already seemed like left overs of a rat's dinner. On top of it, the guys had pushed back their seat and put their arms over their heads. Same did the guy sitting next to me scaring the two girls behind us. Now, thats quite a show that I couldnt put up with. Imagine sleeping under the arm pits of a stranger, a drunkard at that with four more in front of you. Yikes !!! The bus started and I realised that the back rows were empty. I went and took the last but one and switched on the light not to disturb others and to get a breathing space for myself from these stupid gentlemen. Cmon, I understand being down-to-eath et al, but there is something called an attitude flaw for the Indians. spit, pee and shit whereever you want, change dresses whereever you want , buses, trains everywhere. The other day, me and my friend had gone to this hotel in Adyar and there was this Marwari family. The kids wanted to pee. Know what the mother did, right next to the wash basin, where there is no hole watsoever to, she made the kid pee right there while just behind her there are these toilets. Thats what majority of Indians have for their attitude like the other big shot gentleman in breasted coat/suit driving a Honda City did by throwing off the cigaretter butt in the Airport Road and closed the windows to the comfort of his AC.

"Sir, this is the last stop. Can you please get down?" the conductor of the bus requested me.
I woke up and looked at the time. It was 4:14 AM. Thats a weird time to reach Bangalore. I know if I go home, I need to sleep which means I wont get up at the right time and it would be too early not to sleep and have a bad day.

I woke up. The girls behind me had already gone. Ah, there goes a chance of waking up to nice young girls caput. Dizzily, I woke up, and searched my laptop bag on the shelved above where I had left. I was shocked to see it absent. I looked around and found no sign of any baggage. First thought, those buggers - the drunken a$$..... looted it. Startled, I went to the conductor and said
"sir, the baggage is missing".

As I told, the conductor was too good to be true and he said
"Oh yeah, I took it and kept it safe because you were in deep sleep". Now, thanking my lucky stars, I took an auto back home.

On the way, I just thought to myself. Why did I doubt those guys. That was the first thought that came when I could not find my laptop. If someone thought about me like that, how hurting will it be? Or will I just show my fingers and go. How easy it is to form opinions - ASSUMPTIONS - the root cause for most of the problems in our life !!!

12 comments:

Madhu said...

I would have doubted them too...! Appearances are often key to personalities and depending on our mindset, we tend to infer a lot from how ppl look. In India, very less ppl think good social behaviour....they just do want they want. Can u even thinking of questioning anyone? No way....not unless u want to hear a score of *** words.

Enchanted Mind said...

@madhu,

yes...but i guess the social behaviour is not cultivated as part of our growing up at all.....

@ratika
Well, I thought I would leave such honors to a girl like you....see, am a gentleman !!! *grin*

Enchanted Mind said...

I understand Hindi...I write, read but but just that havent been fluent in spoken hindi much !!! But Punjabi...gimme a break...this country has so many languages - no offense meant *sigh*
Thank you very much - for that double grin ...grrrrr

Enchanted Mind said...

Oh well, but I'm poor at languages ;-) !!! you wld need a lot of patience *grin* Wld be more than glad to have a English translation of it....No, I ahvent heard of her....but the closest I have heard is my sis Amrita ;-)

Enchanted Mind said...

It has to be ....
cos its my first name ;-) !!!!

Loveena Raj said...

Visiting u after a long long time ... Dont blame me - and I've been 'absent' for some time now. Anyways, its sad to see we are moving from bad to worse ... My dad would fill Pepsi bottle with - you know what - while traveling - it disgusted me - but I had no say. I never travelled with him after I found that. I'd rather travel alone ... But yea - its been happening and there's not much we can do.

As for appearances - funny thing is my dad would be soaked in alchohol - but no one would know! He is a damn good looking person! How do u like that? Enough said.

And hey, NEVER leave your laptop unattended. I bought a laptop case which would not give a clue as to what it is!!! Its a back pack laptop case.

Enchanted Mind said...

@lovee...

completely understand. And I was tempted earlier to buy that backpack style, but chose a executive case though :-)

DreamClicks said...

Ok, sorry, but i just can't stop laughing :P why does it happen only to you *wink*

Man, this reminds me of this vivek comedy.

About the appearances, i'm gonna blog about it pretty soon.

Enchanted Mind said...

@DV,

Some people are born with "Fatal Attraction".

Xena said...

Very well said pal!!! ASSUMPTIONS certainly are the root cause for most of the problems in our lifes.

hari said...

Hi Bala,

So many morals in one post. Too much to digest. But I am too impressed in your sense of humour in description of things and situations.

But I have a question, would you have shown the same disgust had it been a nice female sitting next to you and removing her shirt to relax. I understand your disgust was more at removing shirt in public.

Enchanted Mind said...

@ Xena.
Very true !!!

@DV,

Yep, remember the scene...

@hari,
"nice looking female" - well, the adjective says it all, right !! it wldnt have bothered so much.....

My disgust is not about removing shirt in public alone, but putting someone under discomfort.