Saturday, March 11, 2006

caught the silent buggers early !!!

I read this post of DV and was reminded of something a coupla years ago...

Well.....when me, DV and our other frenzied beings were all still working together, (gosh, that looks like ages now), I went for a normal health check up. No, there were no complications. I just wanted to do it because I have never had a general health check up done. It felt kinda fun to do it and also wanted to verify the authenticity of what I have read - to do health checkups atleast once a year. Ah, the ways of a middle class family. We, Indians dont wanna visit a doc unless we are forced to, aye. Yeah, money also holds a huge responsibility for it.

I hadnt lost weight - like 10kgs in 2 months unlike DV, but actually I was blooking quite HEALTHY then....
The report came and I almost fainted seeing the Triglycerides count - yeah, the bad ba*@#$@# ....of cholestrol. They were silently teaming up inside me to hit hard in a coupla years. The normal range was somewhere between, 12-70 or something. and what did I have? like 5 times more than the normal- 372 to be precise. I only wanted to believe it was a typo in the report, which in these cases and all instances for me, never turn out to be the case. *sigh. God Fortuna seems to conspire against me all the time*.

I rushed to my doc friend with the report. Hey, it helps a lot when your classmates are surgeons and dentists. He studied the report and shot me with hoards of questions at the end of which he told me all I had to do was stop something that I had completely cultivated as a habit. The problem just lay in me eating a minimum of 2 Dairy Milk bars and two ice creams a day(sometimes 4-5) and hogging on nuts - cashews and almonds especially. This was a regular intake that kind of became a part of my life. And that happened always when I used to go out with my friends for a daily walk and on our way was an ice cream shop ;-(

It was difficult to stay away from it - yeah, that was the only solution if I were to respect the biggest gift of all - a fully functional body. and I did for two months and that was one among the worst periods of my life. At the end of it, I could kick the sh** out of the grouping glycerides. But that two months of workout and tongue-control-factor kinda set in as a habbit. I do often (read often not always) indulge myself with icecreams but the next morning, kick myself to get into the gym or atleast play.

Whenever someone gives this surprised look of me not so tempted by choclates and ice creams, well, I just smile !!! Advices dont help, do they? particularly when you are head over heels on them !!!

1 comment:

DreamClicks said...

A lesson learnt nah? Hmmmm... i almost lived on biscuits, chocolates, and juices in a row.... owing to work and ALSO my LAZINESS to cook or grab a decent grub... my office desk is still full of them... whoever visits my desk gets something to eat now... *giving away*

Just waiting to get back to the normal diet... *hard work pays*