Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Animosity

Animosity

I think most of us would have heard about the outsourcing cries made in the west and the animosity displayed. However, in my career of IT experience spanning around 8 years now, I have never directly encountered any form of remarks or animosity being displayed @ work, though I have seen such remarks when I walk on the roads.
I believed even if people felt hostile, they limit their behaviours within professional ethics and thats the kind of people I have interacted with. For the first time, I found someone reacting otherwise and for what? a chair?

I had promised a client designer(Sri Lankan immigrant) last evening that I will look into her issue first thing in the morning. As soon as I came in, she called me in. I sat in her chair to fix the issue while she sat on the desk. After a while, she got a chair and a few minutes later, I gave some suggestions and got up to leave. I turned around and had this another client designer Chinese immigrant) standing right upto my face and exclaiming "Ah, so you took my chair". The lady tried to explain that she had borrowed it for herself for a little while, which went unheaded and the guy said in a hostile pitch, his face showing such a hatred, "Why not take my job too?". Well, I do not get into verbal wars @ work place, so, I looked back at him eye-to-eye and left the place.

Later when I think about it, it is interesting, two immigrants from neighbouring countries of mine, who have come here in search of the same thing that everyone aspire for, a better life with more luxury. And incidentally, this guy rents out apartment to contractors like me for two reasons. No one pays that money he quotes for that house. We do not demand like the rest of the tenants do. We need a place for a couple of months and we are ready to compromise, which he clearly takes advantage of. Why would you carry such a spite and show displeasure at something as simple as borrowing a chair? No questions whether I consider it to be immature, but all this hype about grabbing jobs etc etc in a period of globalization and smaller distances? It beats me. How would it be if there is a restriction that Coke cannot sell anywhere outside America or Americans cannot have Japanese cars? Will the companies be as global as they are or will the people be satisfied with inferior products? On one hand, people go and buy products from China because they are cheap and on the other, fight about sending the work there?

The truth is - "There is nothing of any importance in life-except how well u do your work.Nothing.Only that. Whatever else u r will come from that."

P.S
@ SB,
well, am back after a long time. Thanks for still reading me. I would like to touch base with you when I return, that is if you are interested.

7 comments:

Shiv said...

true...i am starting to see indifferences even within ppl of the same country as ours...like north and south..the opinions each have of the other!!OMG...then wat shud i say abt diff countries? more offline though...

Raz said...

ithuku poi en ivalo feelingsa yosichi kitu.. he was in some other tension... so ippadi pesitan. ambututhen!
chimble!

Raz said...

i am ur junior! :) temme which yr u passed out. i wil tell names of the ppl i know in that batch! appuram sollu... nan vidurathu kathaiya illa nejamanu!

moreover, pasanga na shld take things lightly.... :P
boss sonnapla - coooool!

Raz said...

ammam athunala than 67% pasangaluku thanthutom! thani rule appuram thanni tule vera...

i might know ppl from 99 or 98 batch too! from the yr 2000 passd out i know many "nchanted" souls n minds ;)

n wil add u say in couple of hours.. morning hours :D blog padikarathe kedi thanam.. konjondu work mudichitu varen

Anonymous said...

Very true....Walls that sorround heart...suffocate u.......make u insecure and repel or baffle others....whether the 'u 'is an individual or a collective.
what say?

Li. said...

It always comes down to ppl, some guys r like dat... gud post..

N tell you what.. if the coke n japanese car scenario happen.. Kalimark, mappilai vinayagar,GM n Ford are goin to be soo happy.. :-)

Anki said...

May be the guy was just having a bad day and he didn't mean any "animosity" with his comments.

Btw: good post