Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Three of Us

Sometimes you read a book and identify the emotional journey of the characters with yourself. At times during such a read, you stop and think over "Gosh, its so like my thoughts, the emotions that I went through" and you realise theres so much in common with the fiction and real life. Oh well, it is bound to be as fiction, as I believe is just an extension of the real life. I picked up,"The three of us" by Abha Daweswar for the language based on my earlier read of her - "That Summer in Paris". But except that this time, I was in for a different treat. I was left wondering if it was indeed a lady who wrote this book (no offense meant) for the treatment of very intricate emotions of a man trying to identify his own sexuality. It was like the author had magically stepped into the thought process of a man. The novel just breezes through the lifestyle of a young Manhattan investment banker, laden with some hilarious moments and dialogues and sometimes, profound words. I'm looking forward to read "Babyji" which again is an emotional journey of a girl that had won her a literature award.

4 comments:

Monicaatje said...

What if that identification we achieve is a selective process?
We identify with the hero or heroin of the story, or with his/her best friend, or even with a character that was present in one or two pages.
how much do we take in in order to feel identified? how much do we fantasize??

How much in "real" life?

supernova said...

I haven't read this one... Lemme try and get my hands on a copy...

Enchanted Mind said...

@Mon

I know you have graduated and are a full fledged psychologist now ! :-) !!

@supernova...
try it....

Monicaatje said...

Yes!! graduated and in the final months before I get my diploma. So nope, not a Psychologist yet, I'm a Psychologist in practice, which means... i don't have a diploma. Hopefully next march, have to keep studying to pass the exam :D

Greetings!! and explain to me more about that time zone please ;)